Thursday, January 6, 2011

The Mac app store

The success of the app store for iOS devices has led Apple to create a similar one for Macintosh computers, as well.  This will allow developers to reach a larger audience on OS X, and allow users to find, evaluate, purchase, and install software much more easily.

If you use a Mac, go up to the apple menu in the upper left corner of your screen, and click on "software update".  You will probably get a dialog box with a few different updates, some of which may require you to restart your Mac.  This is a good idea anyway, even if you don't care about the app store.

Once it has installed the updates, you will find a new icon in the doc at the bottom of your screen that matches the one on iOS devices; a blue circle with an "A" in the center.  Clicking on it launches the app store, with an interface that is very familiar to many of us.  The first app to catch my eye is my perennial favorite, Evernote (which is free, btw).

The install process really is as easy as it is on a iOS device, at least in my first try.  The new app appeared a few seconds later in my dock, ready to go.

I looked for some of my other favorite OS X software, and I don't see it, yet (Quicksilver, Nocturne, Scrivener).  It will be interesting to see if these established applications make their way into that store, or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment