Thursday, January 7, 2010


The first app I'm going to describe here is ToDo by Appigo.  It is the to-do list that Sam and I both use, along with my mother (better known to most of you by now as "Mana").  It is a bit expensive for an iphone app, but for something as important as your task list, it is well worth the investment.  Spend a bit of time learning about the different types of entries, as they will allow you to make sub-tasks and checklists to manage even the most complicated projects.  I use it for work, and Sam and I both use it for family tasks.   Last I checked, Mom was using it for her work, as well.

It has a very clean interface, and is quite simple to use. I find that the only time it doesn't work is when I neglect to use it :-). It is built to support the GTD method of task management, but the three of us just use it without such theoretical backup.

In addition to its usefulness as an app, it also will synch with several other services. I have hitched it to a free account on www.toodledo.com, which has also impressed me with its balance of features and ease of use.

Toodledo will accept new items directly into the website, via email (with a bit of judicious markup) or through an excellent Firefox plug in that pops up in many useful places as you browse.

On one occasion earlier this year, toodledo went down, briefly.  The site owners were appropriately apologetic, but I was fine because of the Todo version of my data that is stored on my phone and backed up on my computer.

My next step will probably be to get a paid account on toodledo, so it will support the same task-subtask structure that Todo supports.  I think it costs a whopping $15 per year!

2 comments:

  1. Tell us more, Ian! How does it work compared to Notes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Different than Notes, because it manages tasks rather than info. My replacement for Notes is Evernote, which I love (and in which I have written most of these posts so far). I'll get something out about that soon. I'm pretty sure that my mother is using the Notebook app from Appigo that would fulfill the same purpose as Notes. I'll ask her if I'm correct about her using that app, maybe she'll write a guest posting :-)

    ReplyDelete